Thursday, January 21, 2010

A Reminder



A few weeks ago, Lucy made a reference to the book Angle of Repose. Her post was actually a review of America America but the same friend had recommended both books to her and she suggested her friend never went wrong. At the time, I was making a wish list for Christmas gifts and included Angle of Repose on my list. The book tells the tale of a disabled professor who returns to his childhood home to write the story of his grandmother who was an early western settler.

As I read, I was reminded of how rarely I read stories of times past. Susan's story was a fascinating glimpse into our country's past. I was also reminded of the fact that Pulitzer Prize winning writing (as Angle of Repose is) can be at times, dense and harder to read than some of the lighter fare that I tend to prefer. I rose to the challenge but there were certainly nights when I craved something "easier."

I should finish my latest easier read shortly with a review to follow. A hint: I did move onto to lighter writing but I stayed in the past. There will be much royalty in my next review...

No comments:

Post a Comment