Thursday, January 21, 2010





I cracked open THE HUNGER GAMES by Suzanne Collins on the recommendation of my 13-year old daughter, my 15-year old neice, and my sister (I won't give her age ;-) Within a few pages, I had my doubts and almost bailed. The setting of this young adult book is post-apocolyptic North America in which an all-powerful Capitol is ringed by 12 subjugated Districts. The plot centers around an annual set of games in which each of the Districts randomly selects, at "the reaping," one boy and one girl between the ages of 12 and 18 who are then released into an arena to kill each other. The winner brings honor and riches to his or her District, and the entire games are viewed on television by all the residents of the Capitol and Districts. It is a reality show of the most sinister kind: part Survivor, part Roman gladiators, part Tri-Wizard Tournament from Harry Potter #4. The main character and first-person narrator is 16-year old Katniss Everdeen, a courageous and resourceful, but bitter young woman from the poorest section of District 12, in which mining is the chief industry. I liked Katniss and admired her survival skills and sharp wits, which serve her well when she finds herself a reluctant "tribute" in the Hunger Games.


I dragged my heels through the first half of the book, the chapters that contain the build-up and preparation for the games. My sense of dread and anger at the injustice of it all was second only to Katniss', and I kept asking my daughter how she could possibly have gotten through this and come out loving the book. She told me to be patient, stick with it, and try to put my feelings aside. I had difficulty getting past the fact that a central government could inflict such a horrible and inhumane punishment on its citizens: the required sacrifice of their youngest and brightest, their sons and daughters, their very future, to this barbaric game, and the passing it off as entertainment. Once the games began, however, I couldn't put the book down and I read the second half in one sitting. I had to grudgingly agree with my daughter that the excitement of the hunt, the complexities of the game, and the alliances that are formed made me (almost) forget what started it all. The 24 tributes must defend themselves against each other as well as hidden dangers in their environment. The "arena" containing miles of wilderness--forest, desert, lake, meadow--is actually fabricated by the gamemakers and constantly being manipulated to keep the games interesting. Ponds suddenly dry up, temperatures are dropped at night, and poisonous berries grow in plain sight. Hidden cameras are everywhere and spectators place bets. Sponsors may pay for special supplies to be dropped by silver parachute to their favorite tribute: a soothing salve for bee stings, a kettle of soup, a suit of armor.


I won't tell you how the games turn out, but I will say that the climax is worth the build-up, and that I've had some interesting discussions with my daughter after reading the book. We agreed that we don't know any teen (or adult) who could survive three minutes, let alone three weeks, of The Hunger Games. We also had fun trying to decide which tribute we most resembled in terms of our (real or imagined) skill sets. I recommend this book for anyone 13 and older, with some reservations for sensitive types, like me.


THE HUNGER GAMES was Book One of a trilogy. Book Two, CATCHING FIRE, came out in September and my reservation already has been placed at the library. I'm hopelessly hooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment