Thursday, September 16, 2010

Salem Falls by Jodi Picoult


Fell into the Picoult trap again this week when I was at the library looking for something to read, in a hurry I should add as Annie was in the car waiting. So once again if you've read one of her books you've read them all. Small town characters, one of them shockingly accused of a crime that he or she didn't commit. Family crisis ensues, big trial takes up the last 3rd of the book with the defense attorney becoming a major character... all coming together in a shocking ending and always, always an aquittal of the wronged defendant. And the topic is always provocative and often timely. Whether it's organ donations, school shootings, teenage suicide or in this case teenage rape (with some witchcraft thrown in), she changes the names of the characters and the topic but little else.

And not only is the story predictable, so is her writing... a few of her favorite phrases include: 'he shrugged on his coat', 'she tucked into her meal' and 'she padded down the hall'.. all used to excess.

Can't promise I won't pick her books up again, I will admit they are page turners. But next time I'm in a rush at the library I'm heading for 'staff picks' my new favorite section.

No comments:

Post a Comment