Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Last Tally

Ok, so I started a little after Lucy on this, so I’m catching up. Here are the books I didn’t write about, but I read, to finish up my 52 for the year:

44: Beginner’s Greek by James Collins – ok, but not on my must read list

45: The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton – excellent, read it!

46: The Weight of Heaven by Thrity Umrigar – I love her, but this book is a huge downer. Read it if you absolutely must read about someone with worse problems than your own, but it’s a train wreck of a novel.

47: Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens – Just want to say I was way ahead of Oprah on this call, as you will see further down. Though, in all fairness to ME, I read these before she said anything! (I’m not bitter, because really, you should read it. I just don’t like Oprah telling me to! Though do support Donor’s Choose, it’s one of Oprah’s best for 2010)

48: The Whistling Season by Ivan Doig – another one I have my book club to thank for. A real gem of a book, particularly if you were a fan of The Great Brain or Little House books as a kid.

49: A Memory of War by Frederick Busch – this was a beautiful, sad, complex book.

50: Great Expectations by Charles Dickens – see previous rant

51: City of Falling Angels by John Berendt – How did I miss this one before I went to Venice? Great true story.

52: The Gate at the Stairs by Lorrie Moore – sad, hysterically funny and wonderful

I already started my 53rd book, Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford – on my new Kindle! Yes. The world is coming to an end as you may have feared. I still have quite a few books on my shelf, and I will never stop buying books, but the new kindle is so cute! Anyway, thanks to anyone who read this blog, and for Lucy who inspired me to read all those books collecting dust on my shelf. I’ve missed Barnes & Noble, Shaws, & Bookends, but I see a light at the end of that bookshelf, so maybe I’ll be back soon! READ MORE BOOKS!

No comments:

Post a Comment